Tag Archives: WordPress

How to Fix that Broken Admin

I just updated to WordPress 2.8 (from 2.7.1).  I manually downloaded the new version, deleted my old wp-includes folder (standard procedure), and copied the new folders and files into place.

Broke everything on the back end.  I was able to publicly view my site.  I was able to sign in to my blog.  But all of the admin areas were not responding (or rather I was getting errors).

I removed all of my plugins from the plugins folder and this returned the admin functionalities.  Next was the matter of determining which of my plugins were acting badly.

One at a time I copied my plugins back into my plugins folder.  I had one plugin that was breaking my admin areas (you may encounter others).  My Google analytics plugin would break my admin areas every time.

Fortunately I was able to find this useful solution.  Essentially, you go into the plugin files (in my case the file called sem-google-analytics-admin.php) and replace all instances of is_site_admin() with is_admin() (so remove _site from each one; I had two instances).

After making that change I was able to copy analytics over again and subsequently enable the plugin.

Happy hunting.


Upload Troubles Tackled

I was creating my last post, a review of a song by Ian Parks, and I ran into trouble uploading the music file through WordPress.  In point of fact I was getting the following error message:

The uploaded file exceeds the upload_max_filesize directive in php.ini.

Locating my ini file wasn’t too much trouble.  It’s located in C:WINDOWS.  Editing the necessary entry was again very simple.  I did a find-in-page for upload_max and changed that line from:

; Maximum allowed size for uploaded files.
upload_max_filesize = 2M


; Maximum allowed size for uploaded files.
upload_max_filesize = 10M

I suppose you could change that limit to any size you might find useful.  The M is very necessary.  If you leave it off I think you will be specifying bytes.  I further suppose that K and G would work if that’s more your speed (kilo and giga).

But, there was one more critical step which took me a moment to figure out.  I needed to then restart IIS (my Web serving software).  After that my uploads worked fine (up to, of course, 10M).

Happy hunting.