Our helpdesk uses ADManager as a tool for making Active Directory changes. Though it is slower than accessing AD directly, it’s a pretty robust tool and it’s reasonably intuitive in most cases. However, I needed to create a new Organizational Unit in AD and simply poking around didn’t turn up the solution.
Well, that’s because this particular step is decidedly unintuitive.
For your edification (and my memory) I present here the easy steps to accomplish this mild feat.
- Drop back to the ADManager dashboard by clicking the ADMgmt tab near the top of the page.
- Click on the “Create Single User” link (under “User Creation”).
- Near the bottom you will see a field for “Container:”; to its right click the “[Change]” link.
- Select your preferred parent OU in the main section, then click on the “Create New OU” link (near the top and to the right of the “Selected Container:” field).
- Enter the “Name:” in the small pop-up dialog.
- Then it’s the Create and Ok buttons to get that done.
- You can leave the unused Create Single User page as it was just a patsy.
Hope that helps you.